How to manage remote teams? As organizations continue to embrace remote work as a viable solution, the need for practical remote work tools has become more pronounced than ever.
Looking for the most effortless and accurate time tracking tool for your remote team?
“I am not one that finds joy in tracking my time. Thankfully, I can now simply flip the Timeular Tracker.” – Melissa, Senior Analyst in Health
If you are looking for the ultimate remote workforce management software, you are in the right place!
In this article, we’ll explore a range of cutting-edge software designed to enhance your company’s remote team management, offering insights into how these tools can streamline processes, increase employee engagement, and ensure seamless workdays for your remote workforce.
In the list below, you will find various types of remote team management software that will help you track time, manage projects, and keep your team productive. Hopefully, with the right stack, your remote workforce management
Timeular is the ultimate time tracking tool for teams seeking an effortless and precise solution to monitor billable hours, boost productivity, and generate meticulous client reports. It seamlessly integrates intelligent timekeeping methods into a single platform, allowing you to track time in just a few seconds a day.
With Timeular, your team can easily work more efficiently, applying top time management techniques.
- Learn more: Top time management techniques
Effortless and automated time tracking
With Timeular, tracking time becomes a breeze! The software automatically records the time of different tasks and activities based on app usage, visited websites, and scheduled calendar events.
A variety of intelligent time tracking methods cater to the needs of different team members to ensure that each of them will find the most convenient approach.
- Read more about Automated time tracking in Timeular.
Empowering remote team
Timeular has been embraced by over 50,000 teams that rediscovered the joy of time tracking. Timeular lets team members track time and customize their time entries with notes and tags, which can be easily shared. Unlimited users can track time with their colleagues using shared folders and create detailed reports.
- Read more about how Timeular supports team time tracking.
Timeular equips you with quick insights into project budgets, billable vs. non-billable hours ratio, time allocation, and overtime, giving you the right tools to make swift, informed business decisions. This helps to keep up with resource management, as well as expense management and invoicing.
Track work time, overtime, and all types of leaves
Beyond work hours, Timeular works as an overtime tracker and also as a leave tracker, providing comprehensive control over your remote work schedule.
The Tracker: Your remote companion
At the core of Timeular is the physical Tracker, an 8-sided dice that rests on your desk, fostering a habit of accurate time tracking. This intuitive tool simplifies the process, ensuring that your reports are relevant and precise.
Alternatively, opt for the digital Quicktrack feature, which lets you initiate time tracking with a simple keyboard shortcut.
Track time with a physical Tracker that sits at your desk
Tracking time has never been so easy!
Over 3,000 integrations
You can easily combine Timeular with other remote team tools to automatically track time of tasks and projects assigned to specific customers. Integrate Timeular with your project management tool or expense management software to gather all the features in one place.
Why choose Timeular as your time management tool?
- Timeular streamlines time management and team time tracking effortlessly
- Save time with automated tracking, requiring only seconds per day
- Build a strong time tracking habit with the physical Tracker
- Automated reminders to track time
- Enjoy seamless compatibility on both desktop and mobile devices
- Benefit from over 2,000 integrations with task management tools and other remote work software to streamline your data.
- As it’s not an employee monitoring tool, it gets a high employee buy-in.
Turn time tracking into a task so easy that your team will enjoy it
“We are much better at accurately tracking our time, which improves client billing. It also helps our team focus on their work rather than skipping around from one task to another.” – Michele C., Founder
Asana is a collaboration tool offering robust project management features that enhance efficiency and organization. Its user-friendly interface and flexible tools are designed to streamline workflows, making it a favorite among users.
With Asana, teams can easily create tasks, assign responsibilities, set deadlines, and track progress. Additional context and details can be added through descriptions, attachments, and subtasks, providing a comprehensive view of each task. Tasks can be visualized on timelines or calendars for better planning.
Asana keeps remote distributed teams connected and informed through notifications, ensuring everyone stays updated on task changes, comments, and updates. Its seamless integration with apps like Slack and Google Drive facilitates smooth information sharing across platforms, catering to teams of all sizes and industries, from startups to enterprises, marketing teams to development teams.
- Read about tracking time in Asana.
Why you should use Asana as your team collaboration tool:
- Effortless project management: Asana simplifies remote task creation, assignment, due date setting, and progress tracking, streamlining remote team coordination.
- Real-time collaboration: Stay connected and informed with instant notifications about task updates, comments, and team member actions, ensuring effective collaboration.
- Seamless integration: Integrate Asana with essential remote work apps like Slack and Google Drive to facilitate smooth information exchange and enhance remote productivity.
- Versatile for all teams: Regardless of team size or industry, Asana offers tailored solutions to efficiently meet the diverse needs of teams, from startups to enterprises.
- Flexible desktop and mobile access: Collaborate seamlessly on both desktop and mobile devices, providing remote teams with flexibility and accessibility.
Integrate Asana with Timeular to track time more effortlessly
Considered one of the best free digital planners, Trello is a valuable tool for remote teams. Its board, list, and card system provides an intuitive way for individuals and teams to organize tasks and projects. This flexibility allows users to create multiple boards for different projects, add lists for workflow stages, and create cards for tasks.
Trello’s Kanban board approach simplifies workflow management, aiding remote employees in staying on top of assignments. Users can create lists within boards to represent different project phases and drag-and-drop cards to indicate task progress.
This user-friendly interface makes Trello accessible, even for distributed teams with minimal training. Trello also integrates with third-party apps, streamlining workflows. While not ideal for complex projects, Trello remains a valuable visual and flexible task management tool.
Why you should use Trello when working remotely:
- Visual task and project management: Trello’s boards, lists, and cards provide a highly visual and intuitive way to manage and track tasks, making it easy for teams to stay organized.
- Customizable boards: Tailor each board to your specific project, define columns, assign tasks to individuals, and use tags and labels for clear project differentiation.
- Collaborative workflow: Trello encourages collaboration among remote teams through its visual organization, allowing for easy monitoring of project development.
- Integration capabilities: Seamlessly integrate Trello with other applications, enhancing its functionality and adaptability to your remote work ecosystem.
- Flexible pricing: Trello offers a range of pricing options, from free plans to premium and enterprise options, accommodating teams of various sizes and needs in remote work environments.
TIP: Boost productivity with this Trello time tracking integration.
Todoist is a task management software that aids individuals and remote teams in staying organized and efficient. It simplifies task tracking and project management by allowing users to create, prioritize, and organize tasks and projects, fostering real-time collaboration.
With its synchronization capabilities across devices, Todoist ensures easy access and manages their responsibilities, making it a valuable tool for individuals, small teams, and larger organizations in various industries.
Its intuitive design facilitates quick adoption, task sharing, collaboration, and delegation, although its free plan offers limited integrations and features.
Why you should use Todoist as a management tool:
- It helps you get a visual representation of your, and your team’s, to-do list for the day, week, and month;
- It tracks your productivity and completed tasks
- It helps to manage the workload
- You can manage your to-do lists and collaborate on tasks in real-time
- User-friendly interface
TIP: Increase employee productivity with this Todoist time-tracking integration.
Slack is a versatile team chat app and collaboration tool that significantly improves remote work by bringing remote employees together and simplifying their workflows.
Key benefits for distributed teams include real-time messaging, organized channels for specific projects or topics, seamless collaboration through integrations, virtual meetings, and emojis and reactions to add a touch of informality and engagement to communications.
Why you should use Slack when working remotely:
- Real-time communication: Slack offers instant messaging and chat, enabling swift and efficient communication and reducing reliance on lengthy email exchanges.
- Organized channels: Slack’s channel-based structure allows teams to create dedicated spaces for projects or topics. This organization ensures discussions and files are well-categorized, making it easy for remote workers to find and access relevant information.
- Seamless collaboration: Through integrations and file-sharing capabilities, Slack enables seamless collaboration on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Remote teams can work together on shared files, edit them in real-time, and provide feedback, promoting a sense of teamwork despite physical distances.
- Virtual meetings: Slack supports voice and video calling, making it convenient to hold virtual meetings fostering deeper connections and collaboration.
- Emojis and reactions: Emojis and reactions in Slack add a touch of informality and enjoyment to communications, contributing to a more engaging and pleasant work environment.
- Get to know the best team communication apps to use in your work.
Microsoft Teams is one of the most popular management tools for remote teams, known for its seamless communication and collaboration. It unifies teams, enabling efficient communication, file sharing, and teamwork. Its robust virtual meeting capabilities, including video conferencing and real-time document collaboration, foster connection and cooperation among geographically distributed teams.
Teams also offer a chat feature for quick communication and channel organization for focused discussions. Meeting recording simplifies review and sharing, while automated transcription aids note-taking during virtual meetings, making it comprehensive for remote employees.
Why you should use Microsoft Teams as your team management software:
- Seamless communication: Microsoft Teams offers efficient communication tools, including chat and video conferencing, enabling remote teams to stay connected and engaged.
- Organized collaboration: The platform’s channel organization helps teams categorize discussions and files, ensuring better organization and easy access to relevant information.
- Real-time collaboration: With video chats and document sharing, Teams supports real-time project collaboration, fostering teamwork.
- Meeting efficiency: Teams’ meeting recording and automated transcription simplify review and sharing, enhancing meeting efficiency and accessibility.
- Comprehensive remote tool: Microsoft Teams provides a complete set of features for teams, making it an ideal choice for remote collaboration and communication.
TIP: Improve employee productivity by tracking time in Microsoft Teams.
Zoom is a popular video conferencing tool offering robust features to enhance team meetings and collaboration. It provides high-quality video and audio conferencing, fostering transparent and connected communication.
Real-time document collaboration and document sharing make remote teamwork efficient, replicating the in-office experience. Zoom also adds fun and professionalism to calls with virtual backgrounds and filters, allowing users to customize their backgrounds for privacy while working from home.
Additionally, Zoom excels in meeting recording, aiding later review or sharing with absent colleagues, with automated meeting transcription for accessibility and note-taking. The built-in chat feature promotes quick and efficient communication. Zoom’s scalability for large group meetings and mobile app support for on-the-go collaboration make it an ideal choice for remote teams seeking flexible communication and collaboration.
Read about how to lead a meeting.
Read more: Best productivity apps for Windows
Why you should use Zoom when working remotely:
- High-quality video and audio conferencing fosters team connection.
- Real-time document collaboration and screen sharing make remote teamwork efficient.
- Virtual backgrounds and filters add fun and professionalism to video calling, offering customization and privacy.
- Zoom’s meeting recording and transcription features aid review and accessibility.
- The built-in chat feature promotes quick and efficient communication.
- Scalability for large group meetings, mobile app support, and flexibility make Zoom ideal for remote working.
Skype, a well-known communication tool, is a great ally for remote teams. It offers free voice and video calls, which are particularly handy for collaboration. The ability to make free calls, no matter where your team is located, is a fantastic advantage for remote working. Skype’s free calling feature encourages smooth communication, helping your team members feel connected even when they’re far apart.
What’s more, Skype goes the extra mile with its document-sharing feature, which adds another layer of usefulness for a distributed team. This feature lets you share documents, presentations, and ideas in real time, making discussions and teamwork more productive. Since Skype works on various devices, including smartphones, it ensures that your employees can stay connected and engaged wherever they happen to be. It’s an invaluable tool for international teams looking to communicate and collaborate effectively.
Why you should use Skype for remote team management:
- Free voice and video calls foster seamless communication, irrespective of location.
- Screen sharing enables real-time sharing of documents and ideas, enhancing collaborative work.
- Accessibility on various devices, including smartphones, ensures your team can stay connected and engaged from anywhere.
- Remote teams benefit from Skype’s ability to transcend geographical boundaries, promoting global collaboration.
- The user-friendly interface makes Skype a straightforward choice for effective remote team communication.
Google Drive is a versatile cloud storage and file synchronization service that proves invaluable for remote teams, simplifying collaboration across various locations. It offers an initial 15 GB of free storage and seamlessly integrates with other Google Workspace apps like Docs, Sheets, and Slides, enabling real-time collaboration.
Its adaptability caters to a broad user base, from students to seasoned professionals, all of whom appreciate Google Drive’s reliability. It empowers employees by enabling access to files from any internet-connected device, while its version history feature ensures easy retrieval of previous file versions, adding a safety net to document management.
However, businesses dealing with substantial data may need to invest in additional storage, and Google Drive’s limitations with offline access could be considered a drawback. Nonetheless, it remains a valuable asset for remote teams, facilitating efficient and synchronized work across different locations.
Why you should use Google Drive as a remote work software for cloud storage:
- Seamless real-time collaboration: Google Drive supports simultaneous real-time editing and commenting on documents, streamlining teamwork.
- Universal access: Its cloud-based nature allows remote workers to access files from anywhere, enhancing flexibility.
- Secure sharing of files: With customizable access levels, it’s ideal for sharing sensitive information securely.
- Automatic syncing and offline work: Changes sync automatically, and offline access ensures uninterrupted work.
- Google Workspace integration: Google Drive smoothly integrates with other Google Workspace apps, improving workflow.
OneDrive, a part of the Microsoft 365 ecosystem, plays a crucial role in facilitating virtual team collaboration and productivity. Much like Google Drive, it provides a secure and accessible cloud-based storage solution for documents and files. However, its seamless integration with Microsoft Teams and Outlook sets it apart as an ideal choice for your virtual team heavily reliant on Microsoft’s suite of productivity tools.
OneDrive’s integration with Microsoft Teams ensures that remote team members can effortlessly access, share, and collaborate on documents within the Teams environment. Whether it’s co-authoring documents in real-time or sharing files directly from OneDrive, this synergy enhances communication and teamwork.
Additionally, OneDrive’s compatibility with Outlook simplifies document sharing through email, allowing it to send large files conveniently. With its intuitive interface and robust security features, OneDrive becomes an indispensable asset for remote teams seeking efficient document management and collaboration within the Microsoft ecosystem.
Why you should use OneDrive when working remotely:
- Seamless Microsoft 365 integration: OneDrive’s integration with Microsoft Teams and Outlook streamlines collaboration within the Microsoft ecosystem, making it an excellent choice for teams already using these tools.
- Cloud-based storage: With secure and accessible cloud-based storage, each team member can store, access, and share documents from any location, ensuring easy and flexible document management.
- Real-time collaboration: OneDrive enables real-time co-authoring and document sharing, enhancing remote team communication and productivity.
- Simplified file sharing: You can send files through email via its integration with Outlook, making sending and receiving large files convenient.
- Intuitive interface and security: OneDrive offers an intuitive user interface and robust security features, ensuring efficient document management while protecting sensitive data.
Dropbox is an invaluable tool for remote teams due to its efficient file-sharing capabilities and seamless synchronization. Whether your team works from their computers or mobile devices, Dropbox provides accessible storage for various file types, from documents to videos and images.
One of its key strengths is the synchronization ability, ensuring that all files on a user’s computer’s Dropbox stay up-to-date, eliminating the hassle of manual transfers.
Moreover, Dropbox’s version history tracking feature enhances collaboration by allowing to monitor document changes over time. This feature ensures transparency and accountability within the team, making it a valuable asset for efficient collaboration.
Why you should use Dropbox as one of your remote work tools:
- Seamless file synchronization across devices ensures everyone can access the most up-to-date files.
- Accessible storage for various types of documents, promoting efficient collaboration on a wide range of projects.
- Version history tracking feature enables transparency and accountability by monitoring document changes over time.
- Simplifies document sharing, facilitating quick and efficient collaboration.
- Compatible with both desktop and mobile, making it a versatile and accessible tool for remote work.
TeamViewer is an essential tool for remote working, simplifying communication and collaboration by enabling remote control of colleagues’ computers. This functionality facilitates troubleshooting, task collaboration, and remote assistance, promoting seamless teamwork across geographic distances.
TeamViewer streamlines remote work processes with an intuitive interface and a drag-and-drop feature for effortless file sharing. Moreover, its cross-platform compatibility makes it adaptable for Windows, Linux, and Mac devices, enhancing versatility in remote work scenarios.
Why you should use TeamViewer for managing remote teams:
- Seamless remote collaboration: TeamViewer simplifies collaboration by allowing team members to connect and share screens instantly.
- User-friendly interface: TeamViewer boasts an intuitive and user-friendly interface, making it accessible for both tech-savvy and less tech-savvy teams.
- Effortless demonstrations: It empowers remote workers to effectively explain or demonstrate tasks, processes, or software on another person’s computer, regardless of their physical location.
- Drag-and-drop sharing: The tool offers a convenient drag-and-drop feature that allows users to transfer files between connected computers effortlessly.
- Cross-platform compatibility: TeamViewer stands out for its compatibility across multiple operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and Mac devices.
Evernote Business is a powerful tool for virtual teams due to its versatile features and user-friendly interface. This all-in-one platform allows remote team members to seamlessly take notes during virtual meetings, brainstorm ideas, and organize tasks, enhancing workflow efficiency.
It offers an array of additional capabilities, including a task planner and calendar, making it a comprehensive solution for team collaboration and productivity.
Moreover, Evernote Business fosters cooperation, providing a virtual whiteboard for sharing ideas and insights. Its intuitive design ensures remote workers can quickly adapt to the tool, making it a valuable asset for teams looking to streamline communication, enhance collaboration, and stay organized while working from different locations.
Did you know that Evernote is one of the best and most used productivity apps on Mac?
Why you should use Evernote Teams for remote work collaboration:
- Comprehensive features: Evernote Teams offers an extensive set of features, including note-taking, task planning, calendaring, and web clipping, providing a one-stop solution for remote team collaboration.
- Streamlined collaboration: It encourages seamless cooperation by functioning as a virtual whiteboard for sharing ideas, making it ideal for brainstorming sessions and virtual meetings.
- User-friendly interface: Evernote Teams’ intuitive design ensures ease of use, allowing remote team members to adapt to the platform and boost productivity quickly.
- Enhanced organization: With Evernote Teams, you can efficiently organize and manage your notes, tasks, and important information, keeping everything in one accessible location.
- Improved workflow efficiency: By offering tools for note-taking, task management, and web clipping, Evernote Teams helps teams work more efficiently and stay organized, even when working from different locations.
In 2024, managing remote employees still remains a challenge. In this article, we’ve explored a variety of software solutions designed to streamline remote workforce management and enhance the productivity of remote employees.
From Timeular’s innovative time tracking to Asana and Trello’s project management capabilities, these tools cater to diverse remote team needs. Slack, Microsoft Teams, Zoom and Skype support your entire team in communication within multiple time zones. Evernote Business and Todoist help to keep track of complete tasks, while Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox simplify document management and sharing.
With the right remote workforce management software, managing remote teams is possible and productive.
You might be interested in: