The 5 Best Time and Billing Software for Accountants in 2023
It’s easy for an accountant to have a lot on their plate: from managing all accounting transactions, preparing budget forecasts, ensuring timely bank payments, or even managing balance sheets and profit/loss statements.
As we all probably know by now, there is a great wide range of time tracking and billing software for many areas, and accounting is no different.
With different price plans, features, benefits, integrations, reporting, and more, how do you know which software is ideal for an accounting firm? Which time and billing software is the right choice for your company?
To help you answer these questions and many more you may have, we’ve compiled a list of the best time and billing software for accountants and their advantages, features, and pricing.
The best time tracking and billing software for accountants
With a 4.6 out of 5 rating at the Capterra & App Store, Timeular is an instant, accurate, and effortless time-tracking app and one of the most accurate billable trackers.
Even though there are many time tracking tools on the market, the is not one quite like Timeular. With the easy to use interface, it’s easy for the whole team to build the habit of time tracking. This way, the time tracking data is real, accurate, and on time. You can access many reports within the app, integrate with other software you use, or export your data.
One of the things that differentiate Timeular from competiotion is also the Tracker.
The Tracker is essentially an 8-sided dice, and when you flip it over, it tracks the assigned activity. How cool is that? This comes in super handy when you have a lot of work to get done and don’t have much time to track your time. It also helps to “sell” time tracking to the team, and to build the time tracking habit. You just have to customize each side of the tracker with the activities you want to track and flip it when you start working on a new task. Easy, user-friendly, and super practical for accountants.
You can choose which activities are billable, and what’s the hourly rates. It makes billing clients super easy. The reports you generate with Timeular ensure accuracy and transparency with your clients
Timeular also connects to over 3000 apps. You can track time with Jira, connect with your own calendar, export data to CSV, PDF, or Excel.
All these features and usability make Timeular the best time tracking and billing software for accountants.
- Easy to use: Nearly every user of Timeular says the same thing: the software is incredibly intuitive and easy to use. When it comes to an easy tracker, there’s no way to beat Timeular.
- Super fun: There’s just something cool about having a physical tracker. Flipping the dice from side to side is almost like a game and gives you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Also, the fact that you can personalize it to your own taste makes it even better.
- Very versatile: With Timeular you can create activities within the app, mobile, desktop, or both. If you are using the Tracker, you choose how to label each side, and you can include additional notes, use custom tags to further break down your tasks, and organize your processes.
- Data accuracy: Due to the easy nature of tracking time with Timeular, data is more accurate than in other solutions.
- Billable time tracking: You can choose which activities are billable, and assign currency and values to them, to make sure you capture every billable minute of your time.
- Physical time tracker: It’s super easy to build habit through muscle memory. You’ll never forget to track your time anymore!
- Connectivity: Some users have occasional issues with the Timeular device connecting with their computer or phone or even disconnecting after work. However, the problem can easily be solved with a reboot.
Start tracking time with Timeular.
Maximize billable hours and keep your team focused on the right things.
With a 3.8 out of 5 rating on the App Store, Harvest is a very well-known time-tracking app where you can track the time spent on each project or individual task.
It also allows you to collect data, and create visual reports that will more easily allow you to outline action plans in the future. Once a specific task is done, with Harvest, you can send invoices to your clients straight from the app, which is great for an accountant. And, if a client ever forgets to pay on time, Harvest will send an automatic reminder for you, which is also super convenient.
Track time on your desktop or mobile or by integrating Harvest with your favorite app. You can do that via Zapier, their native integrations, browser extension, etc.
- Simple and flexible: Harvest is considered a simple and flexible app. It takes care of all invoicing, reminders, and client payments seamlessly. Since it integrates with Stripe, payments are smooth and convenient. Harvest also includes multi-currency features and provides downloadable PDFs to both users and their clients.
- Mobile apps: the mobile app makes work very convenient as tracking time is much easier with mobile devices. With a tap of a few buttons, you can get the timer running. Harvest mobile apps also let you manage your expenses.
- Easy invoicing: with Harvest, it’s easy for teams to receive payment from their clients with seamless invoice payments. It offers a checkbox to allow clients to pay their invoices directly on the date that recurs each month. It also integrates with QuickBooks.
- Billable time tracking: Harvest is instinctive because it lets its users set different rates for different clients on different projects. More than that, they can charge for the task type and track individual expenses, which they can bill to their clients.
- Desktop app and website discrepancies: some users have noticed some discrepancies between the desktop app and the website. It can be very inconvenient for users to have to constantly check on the site while the desktop app is running, as it overcomes the purpose of having an app in the first place.
- Outdated interface: Harvest is known for having many features and functionalities, but it’s interface is clunky and hard to use.
- Data accuracy: due to the timesheet-based interface, team members are often filling it out at the end of the week, instead or in real time, which can result in poor data accuracy.
Did you know that Harvest is a well-known tracker? Get to know the best time-tracking apps on the market in our guide.
3. Time Analytics
Rated 4.8 out of 5, Time Analytics is an efficient time tracker, project management, and professional invoicing app that can be a great solution for accountants.
With Time Analytics, you can keep track of hours and analyze projects and clients’ performance. This tracker enables businesses to simplify processes related to billable and non-billable hours calculations, time-tracking, employee productivity monitoring, invoicing, client profitability, and much more, all within the same platform.
The built-in dashboard lets managers gain insights into KPIs and identify gaps between what was planned and actual performances, allowing them to take the appropriate actions. As an accountant, you can also export data into Microsoft Excel to prepare accurate and transparent invoices.
- Friendly interface: the data from the project time-tracking app is automatically added to the timesheets, reports, and the time tracker dashboard so that you can track project and employee performances.
- Powerful reporting: optimize your profits by observing the profit structure per project or service line and make strategic decisions about future projects based on your team’s current profits.
- Detailed timesheets: Time Analytics simple timesheets will reduce admin tasks, help you understand your costs better, and allow you to focus on more important things.
- Visual reports and dashboard
- Chrome extension is still under development: most time trackers have a Chrome extension to facilitate access. However, this is still under development for Time Analytics.
- No integration with Quickbooks (upcoming): Quickbooks is a smart, simple online accounting software that allows you to track expenses, customize invoices, run reports, and much more in just one place. The integration with this software will soon be available.
Rated with 4.7 out of 5 in the App Store, Myhours is a free time tracking app where you can prioritize tasks, add details, and easily assign them to your team. Also, you can set up an estimated budget for a project or task so you know you’re spending the correct and fair amount of time on it. Myhours aims to unify all features you need to lead a successful accounting business.
You can also track every step and important metric along the way. For example, you can set up a budget for a project and receive a warning if you are close to overstepping it.
- Easy to use: Myhours is a great solution for small businesses.
- Good customer support
- Good overall functionality
- Difficulty logging in: some users say they have trouble logging in sometimes and end up not registering that time and must remember it later.
- Mobile app problems: users have had issues with the Myhours mobile app.
Rated 4.6 out of 5 in the App Store, Clockify is a free accounting software and time tracker that allows you to keep track of accountants’ work hours, attendance, and productivity. The software is easy to use, and the dashboard is flexible, so you can customize it to your team’s needs.
Clockify can be a great solution for businesses that hire accountants for their time-tracking industry competency, for example. The Clockify app provides companies with specific features and a massive list of integrations that boost their productivity.
- Unlimited time-tracking: Clockify provides unlimited time tracking on free and paid plans.
- Real-time chat: The software offers team chat features with real-time messaging.
- Clunky and dated UI: The experience of time tracking with Clockify makes it hard touse. If you forget to stop tracking, it’s difficult to edit your time within the app.
- It’s hard to build a habit: It’s difficult to get into habit of time tracking in the way the software requires.
It’s not stable: App tends to crash or lose data occasionaly.
There you go, if you’re an accountant, we hope you found this article helpful!
These tools are some of the best time-tracking apps for accountants available on the market. They can help you with task management, billing, effective scheduling, time management, and weekly planning. However, you must select the time tracker that perfectly aligns with your business needs and goals.
To become the successful accountant you wish, you must cover every detail to get the perfect match, from prices to features, to pros and cons. But remember, there’s no right or wrong.
Ultimately, the best time and billing software for you and your company will be the one that fits your everyday needs and aspirations.
Remember that time tracking allows you to make more intelligent decisions about how you price and run projects, schedule your team, and even spend your day.
It can be a decisive factor in whether your company is profitable or not. So hopefully, you will be able to find the perfect match for you thanks to our list and be the most successful accountant!
You might be interested in: