ClickUp is a popular tool for managing projects. But when it comes to time tracking, its built-in features might not be enough for some users. You’re not alone if you’ve found ClickUp’s time-tracking lacking or too complicated.
Thankfully, there’s a solution. In this article, we’ll discuss the challenges with ClickUp’s time-tracking and introduce you to Timeular, an external tool that makes tracking time in ClickUp a breeze.
Looking for a fast, simple and accurate way to track time in ClickUp?
Timeular integrates effortlessly with ClickUp, providing a more effective time-tracking solution than ClickUp’s native features
Project time tracking is essential for your business success. It helps to optimize resource allocation, ensures accurate task estimates and aids in meeting deadlines.
That’s why, if you are using ClickUp as your project management software, you need a comprehensive, accurate and simple time tracking solution that will seamlessly track time spent on tasks planned in ClickUp.
Important: To track project time accurately, you need a simple, intuitive, and frictionless time tracking solution that will get your employee’s buy-in.
- Project management efficiency: Tracking time in ClickUp allows precise monitoring of tasks and projects that helps to understand where time is being allocated and ensures projects stay on track.
- Resource allocation: Knowing how much time is spent on different tasks or projects allows for better planning and distribution of workloads among team members.
- Budget management: For businesses that bill clients based on time, accurate time tracking in ClickUp ensures that clients are billed correctly. It’s crucial for financial transparency and maintaining trust with clients.
- Performance evaluation: Time tracking provides quantifiable data to assess individual productivity and track team performance. It helps to identify high-performing employees and areas for improvement. It also plays a critical role in making informed decisions about promotions and bonuses.
- Workload management: Tracking time in ClickUp allows for a more balanced distribution of work among team members. This can prevent burnout and ensure no one is consistently overloaded with tasks.
- Project prioritization: By implementing time tracking in ClickUp, you can see which projects or tasks take up the most resources. This information helps you understand how to prioritize tasks and projects, focus on high-impact activities, and ensure that resources are allocated where they’re most needed.
- Client reporting and transparency: In client-facing roles, providing accurate and detailed reports on how time is spent demonstrates professionalism and transparency. It builds trust and confidence in the services offered.
- Compliance and legal obligations: In some cases, accurate time tracking may be a legal or regulatory requirement. This is especially true in legal services, consulting, and government contracting fields.
- Cost analysis and profitability: Tracking time in ClickUp can help you analyze the cost-effectiveness of projects. It enables to evaluate whether the time and resources invested in a project align with the expected returns.
- Learning and improvement: Individuals can use time-tracking data to identify patterns in their work habits. This information can be leveraged to improve time management skills and increase productivity.
Tired of native ClickUp time tracking?
Try Timeular, which provides frictionless time tracking and seamlessly integrates with ClickUp
Yes, ClickUp includes native time-tracking features available in all its paid versions.
For more advanced features like detailed time reports, time estimates, and tracked time summaries, you’ll need to look at the Unlimited Plan or higher. If you’re interested in comprehensive options such as timesheets and billing reports, you should consider the Business Plan tier or above.
However, it’s important to note that while ClickUp does offer these time-tracking tools, they come with certain limitations, which we will delve into more deeply in the following sections.
Tracking time using ClickUp’s native features may require a bit of navigation. After signing into your ClickUp account, locate the task or project you wish to track. Open the task to access its detailed view. This step is crucial, as the time-tracking function is in this view.
If you don’t immediately see the time-tracking feature, you might need to click “Add View” to find and select the time-tracking option specific to your task.
Once activated, a timer will appear, which you can start and stop as needed, allowing for breaks or halting the session completely. This ensures that only the actual time spent on the task gets logged.
If you’d rather not use the timer or need to input time after the fact, ClickUp offers manual time entry. Just click on the “Add Time” button. This feature also allows for reviewing and adjusting your time logs and attaching notes for clarity or future reference.
Based on user feedback from review platforms such as Capterra and G2, these are the limitations of the native time tracking features in ClickUp:
- Analytics: Reporting features for time tracking are relatively basic and lack advanced analytics or detailed reporting options.
- Not user-friendly: Another issue is that the time-tracking feature is not easily found. It requires several user clicks. Too much complexity seems unnecessary for this kind of feature, which requires time and effort to understand and utilize fully.
- Mobile app: The ClickUp mobile app has limitations regarding the time tracking feature, making it less user-friendly. Users have reported challenges with starting and stopping timers.
- Accuracy: Given that ClickUp operates on a cloud-based system, users can face challenges in tracking time when internet connectivity is weak or unavailable. Such disruptions can result in imprecise time estimations and billing errors.
- Availability: Only paid plans can use time tracking features like billable rates, budgeting, or more advanced reporting.
However, as you are looking for ClickUp time-tracking solutions, you have probably experienced some friction with time tracking in ClickUp yourself.
Fortunately, there is a way to mitigate the limitations of the native time tracking feature in ClickUp, and it’s called Timeular.
Timeular stands as the ultimate project time tracker which encompasses a diverse array of benefits finely tuned for effective project management:
You don’t need to go to your time tracking or project management tool to manually start or stop tracking the time of a particular task. Simply flip your personalized time management cube, which sits on your desk fostering a time-tracking habit. With the Tracker, you can track 1,000+ activities.
- Please note: You don’t need the Tracker to use the Timeular time tracking app – it’s optional! Think about it like it’s an additional aid that simplifies the time tracking process and adds some joy into it!
In Timeular you can pick the time tracking method that best adapts to your workstyle: flipping a physical time Tracker, using keyboard shortcuts, or automatic time tracking, all ensuring a smooth and fast tracking experience.
Effects? Time tracking in Clickup takes less than a minute a day!
Important: ClickUp time tracking integration with Timeular will effectively fill in gaps when team members overlook time tracking.
You can easily label each task as billable or non-billable to track the time spent on each project and client. Add hourly rates to each task or team member and the costs will be calculated automatically.
This helps to keep track of project costs, ensures accurate project billing, and provides insights about your team’s efficiency.
- Learn more about the Timeular billable hours tracker.
To track the time of specific projects or tasks, add the number of hours planned for each project (aka project time budget). We will let you know when you are approaching certain limits to keep you away from overspending and overservicing your clients.
Versatile reporting functionalities replete with multiple filters and varied views, delivering actionable insights into productivity levels and project progress. There’s no need to pay extra or sign up for higher-tier plans to have access to quality reporting.
Automatically records extra hours worked in your project or team. Both overtime and deficit hours are calculated automatically based on configured work schedules and requested leave.
- Learn more about Timeular overtime tracker
On top of that, Timeular works as a leave tracking system that provides the capacity to track and manage all types of leaves to plan projects and workloads accordingly.
By integrating Timeular with ClickUp, users can gain valuable insights into how their time is allocated across different tasks and projects. This data can help optimize efficiency and time management and boost team productivity.
The ClickUp time-tracking integration with Timeular allows ClickUp users and teams to enhance their time tracking experience and better manage their tasks and projects within the ClickUp platform.
Integrating Timeular with ClickUp allows users to directly sync their tracked time entries with their ClickUp tasks and projects. This integration streamlines the time-tracking process and ensures accurate time allocation.
Integrating Timeular with ClickUp via Zapier is straightforward and doesn’t require a paid Zapier account or coding skills. Here’s how in three simple steps:
First, ensure you’re logged into ClickUp. Sign up for free if you haven’t registered for a Timeular account yet. Also, if you’re unfamiliar with Zapier or haven’t used it before, create a free account there, allowing up to 100 free tasks per month.
Create a free Timeular account
Try Timeular, which provides frictionless time tracking and seamlessly integrates with ClickUp
Create a new ‘Zap’ in Zapier, choosing ClickUp as the trigger (set to “new task”) and Timeular as the action (choose “create activity”). To link Timeular, you’ll require an API key, which is generated in Timeular under Settings > My Account > API > Create a new API key.
Once everything is set up, activate your Zap. Your actions in ClickUp will now be synchronized with Timeular, and time will be tracked accordingly.
- Go to our Support article for more information about integrating Timeular with Zapier.
Check the video below for guided video instructions:
Navigating time-tracking in ClickUp can be cumbersome, with essential features locked behind higher-tier plans. However, integrating Timeular with ClickUp simplifies this, offering an easy, precise, and efficient method for monitoring time across various tasks and projects within the platform, bypassing the need for juggling multiple tools.
Particularly for marketing professionals utilizing ClickUp for its robust project management offerings, Timeular’s integration elevates the platform’s time-tracking efficiency. This enhancement is invaluable for managing intricate marketing campaigns and customizing team workflows.
Ultimately, despite ClickUp’s inherent time-tracking shortcomings, Timeular’s integration bolsters its effectiveness, presenting a powerful solution for professionals in marketing and other fields seeking enhanced project oversight.
The best time-tracking integration for ClickUp is Timeular.
Timeular is a versatile time-tracking tool that seamlessly integrates with ClickUp, allowing users to enhance their time management and productivity within the ClickUp platform.
With Timeular, users can easily track time for different tasks, projects, or activities and visualize their time usage through detailed reports and analytics.
This integration provides a comprehensive solution for efficient time tracking and management directly within the ClickUp environment, offering a holistic approach to productivity and workflow optimization.
No, it doesn’t. ClickUp does not take screenshots with tracking time, even though it’s a requested feature. ClickUp’s time-tracking primarily focuses on recording the time spent on tasks, projects, or activities.
Timeular’s integration with ClickUp doesn’t do this, respecting the worker’s right to privacy and promoting employer/employee relationships based on trust, unlike other tools.
You might be interested in: